Hi everyone! My name is Sae. This blog will document my journey to becoming a slimmer and more fit version of myself, and so far I have lost 70- 80lbs. What I post will be 80% fitness related and 20% of everything else, such as cats/animals, anime, scenery, food, and fashion. Instagram: smileysai_sai
Being at the beginning is a great place to be! :)Don’t be down on yourself for a slow start, it’s a lifelong journey we are all on.
I have shared these details before but I really need to add it to my FAQ at some point :)
For my weight loss I focus on six separate elements; Nutrition, Hydration, Exercise, Supplements, Attitude and Sleep. All of these need to be on point to get the most out of weight loss and even one out of whack can cause me to stall. Perhaps if you look at these six areas. you might see a thing or two you can tweak to improve results.
- Eat clean - to me that means minimize any packaged foods. Minimize eating out. Simple, whole, unprocessed foods are the key.
- Eat Often - I eat at least 5 times a day. 6 on days I exercise. These are small meals with nutrient rich foods.
- Eat Deliberately - Plan you snacks and meals. Use a food journal to document what you eat. Use scales and measuring cups to keep your portions in check.
- Get help - You might consider getting some help from a dietitian and or weight watchers. I have done both.
Hydration - This one is simple. I drink at least one gallon of water every day. There are lots of reasons to do this and you can research them if you want, long story short - skip this at your peril.
Exercise - Everyone knows you need to exercise but what to do and how much to do it? In the past I made the mistake of focusing solely on exercise and then getting injured or burning out and giving up. Keep in mind exercise is important, but it is only one of the six elements.
- Get help - I am a big advocate of getting help when you get started. That means working with a certified trainer to build a plan that works for you.
- Mix it up - I think all weight loss programs (and most fitness programs) should include a mix of cardio, weightlifting and flexibility.
- Find something you love - You are much more likely to stick with exercise if you love it. For me it is cycling, yoga and weight lifting. What is it for you? You may not know yet :)
- Take a rest - You must rest 1 - 2 days a week. No exceptions.
Supplements - I take several supplements to help me maximize my results. I use Truestar for my supplements and other places for my pre-workout drinks and protein powder.
Sleep - we all need a minimum of 6 quality sleep hours a day. (8 is far better.) I struggle in this area.
Attitude - The further I get into this fitness journey, the more I am realizing this is where the magic happens. Frankly, every other one of the variables can be fixed with science. You can figure out the right formula, take the right steps and get the results. But NONE of that matters if you don’t have your head straight.
I bad news is… i’m still figuring this part out. I still have significant issues with self esteem, forgiveness of myself and others and self love. I am working on all these things so I don’t feel real qualified to help you here. I would make two recommendations :
- Spend some time getting to know why you want to get fit. I write about this here. I really think this is a simple and worthwhile exercise for everyone.
- Spend some time looking at what you are feeding your mind. Are you negative? Are you loving and encouraging to yourself? Are the people you are surrounded with here and IRL good role models?
Finally, I suggest everyone periodically takes a look at how they are doing and makes changes as needed. I do a weekly report card to hold myself accountable. You may not want to do that but getting in the habit of checking your progress and holding yourself accountable is a good one for us all.
Hopefully looking at these six elements will help you determine where you are struggling. If you are really nailing them all then you may be on a plateau but in my experience most people (and certainly myself) seldom hit all six and making minor adjustments can get things back on track.
Thanks and good luck!,
P.S. You may also want to check out my favorite posts for other tips and things that work for me. This has both my content and content from other bloggers that inspire me.
GUYS listen to what John has to say. He’s so helpful. Thank you SO SO much!